[WikiEN-l] Mywikipediaspace

Cheney Shill halliburton_shill at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 01:39:38 UTC 2006

--- daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> I am currently reading the Terms of Service of Myspace.
> It is quite
> interesting. Remember, this is a social networking site,
> not an
> encyclopedia/dictionary/textbook/library/etc. As such,
> one would think that they  would be a tad
> more lax than us. Not so. Note that I not suggesting that

Legally, that protects them.  In reality, they are roughly
comparable to Wikipedia's user talk pages - if you imagine
the admins not banning people that used them to promote
wealth scams, Web cams, any other kind of porn you can
imagine, bands, etc. etc. etc.

>  these policies are
> followed or that the millions of Myspace users have
> actually  read them.

As someone who actually uses and interacts with people on
myspace, I can tell you that nothing is followed unless it
is enforced, and little if anything is enforced.

> Nevertheless, it is there in writing. People who sign up
> agree to  this. Perhaps we
> can learn from them.

Definitely not, unless you're looking to protect yourself
legally.  E.g., from being sued for having a 60 year old
pedophile use Wikipedia to meet, etc. a non-adult or from
being sued for some investment or gambling con that used
your site.

All the "commercial" stuff supposedly restricted is
actively employed.  Start here as just 1 example:
http://www.myspace.com/gdiwealth

In summary, the terms of service alone have no impact, so
don't expect them to fix any content issues.  The best you
can hope for is that some corporations and PR firms that
have lawyers reading and taking terms seriously will ease
up on the claims they make and eliminate any links that go
directly to sale sites.

~~Pro-Lick
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Halliburton_Shill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pro-Lick