[WikiEN-l] Corporate vanity policy enforcement

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Oct 1 17:22:20 UTC 2006

David Mestel wrote:
> I don't think that "implied discretion" is a good idea long-term -
> it's better to codify it in policy so that everything is consistent
> and in the open.  Apart from anything else, it's kind of inadvertantly
> biting the newbies when stuff happens for reasons which aren't
> explained.

This is an eloquent expression of ongoing problems with process creep.
Not everything needs to be codified in a strict policy involving a 5 day
voting procedure.

One thing to remember is that deletions can be undone.  Deleting an
article is really no big deal.

As far as not biting the newbies, well, of course I agree.  A kind and
loving template which says "Thanks so much for your submission to
Wikipedia, but it was deleted.  Before submitting again, please read
please raise them at <an appropriate page>."

--Jimbo