[WikiEN-l] Nazi userboxes

Jim Schuler jim62sch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 22:50:03 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Jim Schuler <jim62sch at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Debates about Naziism aside, either all political userboxes are allowed
> or
> > none are, as every political party is considered to be offensive by
> > someone.  One point: we need to watch for mission (anti-user box) creep.
>
> Yes, but the consensus is amongst the vast majority of non-Nazis that
> they are offensive.  There is no need for an all or nothing
> requirement here.

That's utter nonsense.  Would you delete a page and ban the user who has a
Communist userbox?  Yes or no?  Communists were responsible for far more
deaths than the Nazis (hell, Hitler was an amateur compared to Uncle Joe and
the Beloved Chairman Mao), and we (the Western nations) were allied with a
genocidal paranoid butcher during WWII in order to defeat another genocidal
paranoid butcher.

Picking and choosing what is "acceptable" is, to me, often an example of
fear and ignorance.