[WikiEN-l] Handling unreferenced but likely-valid material

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 30 01:15:57 UTC 2006

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
>> From: "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com>
>
>> I don't think deleting accurate, high-quality, unreferenced material
>> is in Wikipedia's best interests. Asking for a source, yes. Adding
>> sources, yes. But *deleting* good material? No.
>
> Unsourced material is not high-quality material.

It can be, depending on the circumstances. This isn't something on which
categorical statements can be made (or at least one can't expect
anything close to consensus on such statements). For example, consider
the articles where we imported masses of unreferenced material from the
1911 Encyclopedia Britannica. That's not even high quality stuff by
today's standards but it's served as a good foundation for further work.