[WikiEN-l] "Reliable sources" guideline being treated as absolute policy

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 29 16:51:17 UTC 2006

"MacGyverMagic/Mgm" wrote

> If forcing people to write
> down what they read to get the information drives people away there's
> something wrong with their attitude.

Sure. And wiki can't possibly work.

This takes us absolutely back to basics. Wiki is about lowering the barriers to entry, right to the ground. I'm not a 'purist' - I don't say that every way in which WP practice differs from wiki theory is a blemish - but I do recognise a cost attached.

There must be something wrong with _our_ attitude if RS policy is both so contentious (see another thread) and required to define where we set the bar for entry-level editing, rather than post-moderation. Not in fact a simple matter: someone writes here based on something from a blog, and they will not have a good time.

Charles