[WikiEN-l] Handling unreferenced but likely-valid material

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Wed Nov 29 14:54:49 UTC 2006

> charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
>> What is bad, to look at what WP:RS itself, is having material 'likely
>>  I don't agree that a page of
>> college-level calculus, known and uncontroversial for two centuries,
>> should be deleted for the pedantic reason that it isn't referenced.

Obviously, what's needed is a middle course.

a) Most of the unreferenced material in Wikipedia is accurate. What
do I mean by "most?" 90%? 95%? 99%? Something like that.

b) Most of the accurate-but-unreferenced material in Wikipedia
_could_ be referenced. What do I mean by "most" here? A somewhat
smaller percentage, but still "most." And the amount depends on the
topic area. Yes, there is a substantial amount of material in
Wikipedia that is "original research" or original observation or
direct personal experience, backed only by the testimony of the
editor that inserted it. But most of Wikipedia's content is
verifiable. The editor read it somewhere, even if it was in a
classroom years ago or even if he or she doesn't remember exactly where.

c) Everything in Wikipedia should eventually be referenced or
removed. And by "eventually" I mean in a time frame shorter than the
"eventualists." Not like "Possible-Probable, my black hen/She lays
eggs in the relative When/She doesn't lay eggs in the positive Now/
Because she's unable to postulate how." But its taken years to put
the material into Wikipedia, and it will take a long time to get it
referenced.

d) So, the unreferenced material should be tagged. That calls the
reader's attention to the fact that the material is untraceable, and
its accuracy is hard to judge. Equally important, it also calls
everyone's attention to the fact that verifiability is policy, and
that it is taken seriously.

e) Once tagged, there should be no big rush about deleting the
material, but it should not remain indefinitely, either. How long?
Assuming that there's no specific reason to doubt the material,
months and months.

The _only_ objections to this I can think of is that that the tags
are ugly--which is true but susceptible to a technical fix--or that
we are not serious about verifiability and don't truly want to
restrict Wikipedia content to things that are supported by published
material.

It should also be noted that deleted material is not lost or
suppressed or destroyed or gone. It's in the history and can be
restored at any time if someone finds a reference. And in most cases
courtesy suggests copying the unsourced material to the Talk page to
call attention to the deletion and to facilitate others in finding
references if they want to.