[WikiEN-l] GNAA Deleted!

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 02:13:32 UTC 2006

Jeff Raymond wrote:

> Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> The reader can only supply judgment about the credibility of a source
>> if there is some information upon which to exercise that judgment.
>> The reason blogs get singled out as a category is not because they
>> cannot ever be useful sources, but because so few of them provide the
>> information a reader would need to decide how it stacks up against
>> other sources. (I assume that the reader won't make the decision
>> based on the fact that it's a blog, since as you rightly point out,
>> that's only a label for the medium in general.)
>
> But we can realistically say that about *any* source.  I mean, do you
> really trust Reuters and their middle east coverage right now?
>

>> For example, the existence of independent sources is essential, both
>> to maintain a neutral presentation and to avoid gullibly repeating
>> falsehoods. But when you have a blog of unknown provenance, it's
>> impossible to know whether it qualifies as independent (Wal-Mart
>> Across America, anyone?).
>
> Jayson Blair?  Stephen Glass?
>
> The only roadblock we have regarding blogs as sources is that some are
> more reputable than others, and filtering the wheat from the chaff is
> important.  However, we do that with magazines, books, and journals
> already, so it can't be *that* difficult.

Jeff, you seem to have missed the point I was making. It's not a
question of whether we trust Reuters or the New York Times. The
Cunctator was making the understandable argument that we should tell
people, "We got this from Reuters", or the New York Times or whatever
the case may be, and let *them* decide whether to trust that particular
source.

The roadblock with blogs is not simply that some have shoddy
reputations. It's that so many basically have no reputation at all, and
no way for the reader to figure out what their reputation should be. And
no, you can't do that for an anonymous blog the same way you would for
material from known authors and publishers.

--Michael Snow