[WikiEN-l] GNAA Deleted!

Tony Jacobs gtjacobs at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:21:55 UTC 2006

>From: Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com>
>To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] GNAA Deleted!
>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:04:15 -0500
>
>TD wrote:
> > I applaud the culture shift that has taken place on Wikipedia that
> > has allowed [[Gay Nigger Association of America]] to be deleted
>
>And at the risk of sounding contentious, I must deplore it.
>It was the fifth or sixth deletion attempt that got me involved
>in Wikipedia in the first place.  As I wrote in my very first
>contribution as a registered user, during the July 2005 deletion
>nomination,
>
>	...true story: this morning I was idly curious about GNAA,
>	and was pleased to discover the Wikipedia article, so
>	that I didn't have to favor GNAA's site with an undeserved
>	hit.  Trolls they certainly are, and sad it is that
>	they've become "notable", but like it or not, they are,
>	and the article is wholly appropriate.
>
>And that's my opinion (or would be my opinion, if we still had
>the article) today.

What definition of "notable" are you using?  The only definition of that
word that matters at Wikipedia is: "A topic is notable if it has been the
subject of multiple, non-trivial published works whose sources are
independent of the subject itself."  That's not true of GNAA, ergo they're
not "notable", which simply means that it's impossible to write a properly
verifiable article about them.  We don't want to keep an unverfiable article
around, no matter how much "consensus" may hoot and holler for it, so we
delete it.

People who want to know about GNAA can still look them up at ED, which has
no problem covering topics that we eschew.

Tony/GTBacchus