[WikiEN-l] Fiction and Wikia

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 27 19:19:16 UTC 2006

Steve Block wrote

> Steve Bennett wrote:
>   > In general, we should be more selective with what external links we
> > provide, and how we present them.
>
> We already do.
>
> > We should distinguish between:
> >
> > - Sources of the information in the article
>
> These should be placed in the References section, not the External links
> one.

I looked at [[Wikipedia:Citing sources]] on this, and I don't think that guideline is optimal. It is much better, if you need a weblink as reference for something specific, to make an inline link or make a note. In fact a note is much superior, because you can attach a comment or point up some specific phrase used.

If you just put raw weblinks in a References section, and don't specify the relevance, how can anyone tell that the link is playing a reference role?

Charles