[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 27 11:58:50 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote

> Private payments in support of private interests are less dangerous than
> direct subsidies from Wikimedia.

Or not.

>We know they are outsiders.

How?

>Direct
> payment can too easily suggest that the payee has the WMF stamp of
> approval, or somehow states the "official" POV for his selected topics.

Sorry, that's paranoid stuff. Why would the Board hypothetically spend money to undermine NPOV? Since when has the WMF had an official POV? Why would this sort of thing, which would have to appear transparently in budgets, be _worse_ than political, religious or corporate groups paying people to edit, deniably?

I'm against the concept of paid editors, but basically because support for the sites in other ways should have priority.

Charles