[WikiEN-l] Community Sanction

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:23:39 UTC 2006

I think the idea with community bans is that the person in question is
believed to be *beyond* any significant hope of rehabilitation or
compliance. In practice, though, is there really much difference between
one-year and indefinite blocks? Few accounts return from either, and both
can be evaded with socks.

Ultimately, though, I think that if somebody returns under a new alias and
*avoids* the same sorts of disruptive behavior that led to their initial
block, then nobody will even have a reason to check if they might be the
same person, and they won't get "caught." If the person is truly reformed,
they'll be able to get away with block evasion, because no one will even
realize they're a problem user evading a block. Or something like that,
anyway. You get the idea.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
-Luna