[WikiEN-l] (semi-OT) What to do with old but not old enough encyclopedias?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:30:29 UTC 2006

On 26/11/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I assume you're going to go through and see what our coverage is
> > *really* like ;-)

> I had in mind something more like offloading cargo from a sinking ship...

Now, now! EB is a fantastic book, one of the great nonfiction works of
Anglophone culture. Their current marketing operation may seem to be
spending far too much of its time working on running down Wikipedia
rather than e.g. selling a good encyclopedia, but that doesn't lessen
the respect Britannica is due.

- d.