[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 26 17:17:07 UTC 2006

Kat Walsh wrote:
> The coverage issues that the thread started with are more interesting
> to me. Why are topics that are traditionally of female interest,
> whatever they are, less well-covered? My
> completely-unsupported-by-evidence anecdotal conjecture is that the
> intersection of people interested in those topics with the people who
> spend a lot of time online and think it would be enjoyable to edit an
> online encyclopedia is somewhat less than that with, say, those who
> are interested in computing and military history.

Hmm, it occurs to me that if the dateless geeks learn enough about
blowdryers and such to write articles, they have excellent conversation
starters for the women they've always been tongue-tied with before. A
little risky though - sometime after "Hi, I notice you're wearing Prada
- DYK that Prada..." one would have to get in "No, I'm not gay, just a
Wikipedian".

:-)

Stan