[WikiEN-l] Non-stupid wikien-l thread

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Sun Nov 26 12:25:35 UTC 2006

> From: "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
>
> So ... written any good articles lately?

No, but I've really _enjoyed_ making a stab at "Free lunch," http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_lunch , and expanding "Raines law," http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raines_law .

For me, probably the most enjoyable thing about WIkipedia is the
discovery of self-assigned research projects on topics I'm curious
about and know absolutely nothing about.

Having read old novels, I was vaguely aware of the institution known
as the "free lunch." I still haven't got the whole picture, but
obviously it went out with prohibition and I _believe_ it never came
back, presumably since after prohibition there was no need whatsoever
to promote saloons, and probably because depression economics didn't
make it feasible for saloon keepers. I don't have a clear picture of
its rise and fall, or its regional aspects. I kind of have the idea
the saloon's "free lunch" was universal in big cities but not in
small towns. But I'm sure it was strongly influenced by local
regulations regarding alcohol licensing.

(It's always annoyed me that people that quote "There ain't no such
thing as a free lunch" don't understand that it is a specific
reference to the "free lunches" offered by saloons).

The fascinating thing about "Raines law" and "Raines law hotel" is
that they are such totally _unfamiliar_ phrases, although when I
started poking into "free lunch" I found dozens of references to
them... in New York State it seems to have been conspicuous and
disliked a law, and as much of a topic of public discourse, as
prohibition itself was later.