[WikiEN-l] Non-stupid wikien-l thread

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 09:05:16 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking of translation, I have a semi-active effort to translate the French
> article on the Phalanx formation into English, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Messedrocker/Phalanx-fr2en

Out of curiosity, how come you're translating the whole article, then
merging? Won't you end up with redundant sections?

Anyway, the method I've been using (for new articles) that I quite
like is to start by copying the entire French article into an HTML
comment in the corresponding en article, then to slowly work through
it, deleting bits from the comments as I translate them. It has the
advantage that I can pause work anytime I like, leaving someone else
to continue, and also there's no danger of anyone duplicating my work
inadvertently.  [[Ar Men]] is another example - I've only really
translated the first sentence or so, but anyone else (if they really
felt like it), could just dive in and keep going...

Steve