[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 22:11:40 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> Fred Bauder stated for the record:
> > Biggest problem is off-wiki targeting and stalking. No names, but at
> > least 4 prominent women were strongly affected. And I can think of
> > two others. Mostly it is framed as trying to access personal
> > information, calling employers, etc. Imagining that one demonic woman
> > is oppressing.
>

> Do you have any ideas what we as Wikipedians can do that we aren't
> already doing?  Law enforcement was notified in at least one case.  I
> think that all of the perps are blocked for eternity from both the site
> and the mailing list.

Sean, one thing that would help is for editors who are doing it to be
banned without hesitation, and admins to be desysopped. Currently,
even that isn't happening. It might not stop the attacks, but it's
pretty galling to have to edit alongside someone who's engaged in
trying to track down your personal details on an attack site; even
more galling when that person is a Wikipedia administrator.

Sarah