[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 17:38:35 UTC 2006

Puppy wrote:
> Women are emailing me telling me how intimidated they feel - they don't
> want to post their concerns to this list because they also feel
> intimidated here. That I would have never known had I not replied.

Women feeling intimidated by public mailing lists, and complaining about
it in private email, has been going on steadily since I first got on the
net nearly 25 years ago. It's an interesting phenomenon for the
sociologists - if you look at the subscriber list, you'll see that there
are plenty of male lurkers, but of course they don't give their reasons
for not speaking up. Once in a great while I've met one of these male
lurkers in person, and a couple (almost shamefacedly) admitted to
feeling intimidated by the risks of public posting. In any case, this is
not unique to WP mailing lists, and as far as I know it's never been
satisfactorily resolved for public lists - having a women-only or
approved-members-only list is the usual tactic, but then it's not really
a public list anymore. Any other ideas that have been tried?

Stan