[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Puppy puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Sat Nov 25 14:48:03 UTC 2006

James Hare wrote:
> Separate mailing lists for women? What perfenander.
>
> Guys, we're not going to be improving an encyclopedia/news
> site/dictionary/quote database/species directory/education wiki/series of
> textbooks/media repository/primary source library if we keep bickering.
>
> Jimmy-Jimmy said it best: kick out the bad people.
>
> Then get back to work.
That's a bit simplistic, IMHO. "Bad people"? Truly horrific cases, like
the person who vandalized SlimVirgin's user page about a year ago, I
have no problem calling "bad people" and banning. But the overall
atmosphere, the lack of concern, that is not so clear cut. I just
received yet /another/ email from a women, and I replied asking why she
didn't post to this list? and she replied that /she was afraid of being
attacked/ if she did. Now, obviously I don't suffer from the same
intimidation - but it seems I am more an anomaly than I realized. I am
concerned I sound like a rabid feminist, which I'm not - but the volume
of email I am receiving tells me there is an issue. And simply "kicking
out the bad people" won't work. The "bad people" is us.

-kc-