[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Puppy puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Sat Nov 25 14:38:34 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> Jim Schuler wrote:
>
>> I find it sad that someone feels the need to have a separate mailing list
>> for women.  Gender bias is an issue that touches all of us and should be
>> discussed openly by *all of us.  *As KC noted, separate but equal is a
>> farce: it is merely separate, not equal, for in the act of separation power
>> is ceded to the majority, a majority that is often boorish and smug in its
>> ignorance.
>>
>> It is also sad that when some of the men here spoke out in defence of women,
>> they were attacked for piling on (the offender had slinked off without so
>> much as an apology)
>>

> Do you think I'm proud of what I said? Do you think I actually meant it?
> Do you think that continuing to attack me would have helped the
> situation? Do you think that there was any apology I could have give
> that wouldn't have been just brushed off as insincere?

Speaking strictly for myself, I would have accepted a simple "That was
inappropriate. I apologize."

So far as I can tell, you (Alphax) and I are dialogueing with no
continuing recriminations or incivility, and I have no wish to pursue
the incident any further, with the exception that the general lack of
response to the remark has become a secondary, yet larger, issue.

-kc-