[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 25 00:43:09 UTC 2006

George Herbert wrote:

>Rancom vaguely related topic question - What is the right thing to do about
>some obvious copyvios which I haven't figured out where the copying was from
>yet?  [[Ship construction]] has a bunch of images which claim to have been
>done as original Autocad work for Wikipedia, and yet are clearly scans out
>of ship design textbooks, some of which I recognize, but I haven't figured
>out which books yet.  The same person contributed them all, and some other
>suspicious stuff.

There is nothing obvious about a copyvio when you can't identify its
source.  You may have very strong suspicions about the matter, but that
does not establish the fact.  I don't know what the standards are for
drawings in ship construction, but I'm sure that there are bound to be
some aspects that will be constant.  Are these even copyrightable?

(resent) Ec