[WikiEN-l] Google Earth screenshots

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 21:21:23 UTC 2006

On 11/23/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> > What should we do with the screenshots taken from Google Earth?
> > I see that more and more of them are uploaded on en.wiki, for example
> > to illustrate things such as high-schools or cities. But, does the
> > fair-use claim hold up?
>
> Delete them all. Unless they're used in [[Google Earth]] to
> demonstrate how the program looks, there's simply no valid reason to
> include them when:
>
> a) free alternatives are almost always available via WorldWind
> (especially for the US)
> b) the coordinates templates [1] allow people to easily look the same
> information up themselves, with only two clicks of the mouse, and with
> no copyright issues whatsoever.
>
> > Note that some of the images claim "PD".
>
> In that case the uploaders need a stern talking to. It's hard to
> imagine that people don't realise that imagery from Google Earth is
> copyrighted when it's plastered all over the bottom of the screen, and
> appears in the screenshots.
>
> --
> (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Coordinates_templates
>
> --
> Stephen Bain
> stephen.bain at gmail.com

YES Delete them all, as WorldWind is a free alternative and they all
fial criteria 1. When deleting, point them to
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ so they get the free program.

Also, not ALL the stuff on WorldWind seems to be PD, as long as you
stay away from "Zoom IT" feature (uncheck it from layer manager)
you're fine.

*** drini [n=84fe6805 at madmappers.freeearthfoundation.com] has joined #worldwind
*** Topic is: World Wind Bugs to Squash before release page:
http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/World_Wind_1.3.6_-_1.4_Bug_List_For_Release
| 2bn.net = new upload site | TwoBeds is back-ish
*** Topic set by ShockFire [Sat Nov  4 19:46:49 2006]
*** drini Mordoch maurizioSA ominiverdi m_k Starfury^ spoop T_Servo
Hillwang +nhv ctweedie mlucas_ what_nick _adam_gfx _dreaminofjeanni
+Llynix +ShockFire NeoThermic mazzanet Apagador Selar Bull_[UK] nelson
Ghostwolf +Nowak- @ChanServ @Nowak hacker Kuutio Puuhis anselm
*** Channel created on Tue Nov 16 13:51:47 2004
*** #worldwind [freenode-info] if you need to send private messages,
please register: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#privmsg
<drini> while worldwind is free, what's the copyright status of the images?
<drini> are they PD? (i.e. can I use the images it produced as PD as
NASA is a gov agency) ?
<m_k> Landsat, BM and USGS are public domain
<drini> how do I know if I'm using only them?= I want a view of Irvine CA
<Bull_[UK]> US images should be pd
<m_k> by looking at the layer manager? :)
<drini> :) great idea
<drini> yes Bull_[UK] , but I wanted to know for sure, specially when
I'm doing any place, not just US
<drini> (for wikipedia licensing details)
<m_k> everything that comes with WW OOTB is PD (not sure about ZoomIt!)
<drini> ok I'l stay away from zoomit
<Bull_[UK]> http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-on:ZoomIt%21 -
zoomit details
<Bull_[UK]> you can checkthe specific liceses
<drini> great
<maurizioSA> Robben Island is copyrighted
<maurizioSA> if you want to use you must send details to info at
madmappers dot com and I might get permission
<maurizioSA> depending what is for
<Bull_[UK]> the US stuff should be ok its from gov agencies iirc
<Bull_[UK]> and new zealand is from LINZ
<Bull_[UK]> http://www.linz.govt.nz/home/index.html
<Bull_[UK]> what_nick - is LINZ data D?
<Bull_[UK]> PD*
<drini> how do I know a map is getting its data from linz or
madmappers... within the program
<what_nick_> pd ?
<Bull_[UK]> public domain
<what_nick_> yes
<Bull_[UK]> drini - open layer manager->zoomitthen untick any layers
you are unsure about
<drini> ok
<Bull_[UK]> like untick south africa
<maurizioSA> in ZoomIt! South Africa is mad mappers supplied image
<maurizioSA> If there is any commercial aspect I can tell you now that
I will not manage to get permission
<drini> no, I?m only interested in PD stuff
<drini> we want to delete as much google map "fair use" images that
have been uploaded
<maurizioSA> even the name Robben Island has been registered since it
is a world heritage site administered by a private company
<drini> into wikipedia
<Bull_[UK]> cool
<what_nick_> :)