[WikiEN-l] Everything old is new again

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Thu Nov 23 14:01:07 UTC 2006

> From: geni <geniice at gmail.com>
> On 11/23/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For some inexplicable reason the media tend to stay away from
>> perpetual
>> motion machines, even though they go for all the other pseudoscience.
>
> Not in this case. Couple of months back this was springing up all over
> the place. I though running cars on water went out decades ago.

Yes, but there's been all of this confusing stuff about the "hydrogen
economy." Half the public seems to think that "hydrogen" is a source
of energy rather than a way of storing and transporting energy. And
the silly science reporters on TV always make a point of mentioning
how much hydrogen there is "in" water, while neglecting the essential
point that it takes enormous amounts of energy to get it out of the
water. It's sort of like pointing out how many nutrients there are in
shit... So I think the pinch of powder that turns water into
automobile fuel is about ready for a comeback. After all, Detroit in
its present weakened state can't suppress it forever.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I remember reading about 666, the Number of the Beast, in some book
or another in the fifties, and thinking that was an interesting bit
of obscure trivia... as indeed it was for a couple of decades, not re-
entering the mainstream until about the seventies.

I thought homeopathic medicine was as dead as orgone energy, but
nowadays you can go into any drugstore and buy a headache remedy
whose active ingredient is .00000000000004% White Bryony, plus .
00000000000000000000000000000008% Golden Seal Hydrastis in the Extra
Strength Sinus Formula. They should probably put "You Have Won!"
inside the cap of the containers that actually contain a molecule of
the Golden Seal Hydrastis. What I can never figure out about this
stuff is who is checking to see whether these preparations actually
contain what they are said to contain... and, for that matter, _how_
anyone _could_ check.

As for Wikipedia and stock manipulation, yes, this is a danger... and
I continue to believe that the use of Wikipedia for commercial
promotion represents one of the greatest long-term dangers to
Wikipedia. It's really no different in kind from things like the
articles on very small, very independent movies that show up a few
months before the movie is released.