[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Tony Jacobs gtjacobs at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 23 00:34:08 UTC 2006

>From: Puppy <puppy at KillerChihuahua.com>
>To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender
>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:18:48 -0500
>
>David Gerard wrote:
> > Also, you know how any technical field laments the strange lack of
> > women? Technical fields have had that strange lack of women for a
> > hundred years and still there's no solution to what the heck is
> > culling them so early.
> >

> > - d.
> >

>If you are interested:
>http://www.springerlink.com/content/v006kt042w30045r/
>
>http://www.american.edu/sadker/thereportcard.htm
>
>http://jte.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/53/2/168
>
>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCG/is_2_30/ai_105478982
>
>http://www.maec.org/beyond.html
>And from this last link:
>
>*GENDER BIAS IN STUDENT/TEACHER INTERACTIONS*
>
>Although most teachers believe that they treat girls and boys the same,
>research indicates that they frequently do not. Studies show that
>teachers often exhibit differential behavior even though circumstances
>do not warrant it. The teacher' sex seems to have little bearing on the
>outcome; it is the sex of the student that seems to make a difference.
>For example:
>
>     * Male students receive more of the teacher's attention (acceptance,
>       praise, criticism, and remediation) and are given more time to
>       talk in class from pre-school through college.^8
>     * Although differences among subject matter areas have not been well
>       examined, recent research has found student-teacher interaction in
>       science classes to be biased toward boys.^9
>     * Sex is a factor in the assignment of students to ability groups in
>       mathematics, and males are more likely to be assigned to the high
>       ability group.^10
>     * Males receive harsher punishment than girls even for the same or a
>       similar offense.^11
>     * Teachers ask boys more higher order questions than they ask
>girls.^12
>
>Some researchers suggest that differences in treatment contribute to
>girls' lower self-esteem, lower self-confidence, and reduced risk taking.

I gotta say, I just spent 3 years teaching mathematics at a state university
where the math department was over 50% female (students, not professors).
More of my better students were female, in Calculus, Differential Equations,
Group Theory, etc.  These were some high self-esteem, confident, risk-taking
chicks (to use the PC expression).  I realize this school is an exception,
but it appears that, at least in some communities, these trends are on the
decline.

GTBacchus