[WikiEN-l] Danny's contest

Larry Pieniazek lar at miltontrainworks.com
Wed Nov 22 22:15:49 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:17:11 +0000
> From: <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>

> "David Gerard" wrote
>
>> Also, you know how any technical field laments the strange lack of
>> women?
>
> Not really the point, though. Wiki is not highly technical. The
social-interaction part of WP is much more
> demanding than remembering the mark-up.
>
> I find it 'unfortunate', however that the recent writing contest seemed to
give gold, silver and bronze to
> armchair warriors(see WP:SIGN). That really is a Boy's Toys area. I have
to say that I gave up on Danny's
> contests after seeing that soda-can stoves were more valued than major
African poets.

> Charles

Well I'm not sure how to respond to that exactly, other than to say that we
judged the entries that turned up based on the criteria we developed (which
were in turn based on the goals, to demonstrate referencability...) Those
entries were the best at it.

Not that it's relevant (so why did I mention it? Dunno) but of the three
judges that actively judged entries, I was the only boy.

Larry Pieniazek (User Lar)
Hobby mail:  lar at miltontrainworks.com