[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:24:48 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Puppy <puppy at killerchihuahua.com> wrote:
> Article quality and content reflect the bias of their authors; whether
> internal  or external (access to sources, exposure to topics) that is
> the issue.

About the only time I was conscious of gender issues while editing was
when I briefly tried to edit one of the abortion-related articles. The
page was in the control of a few male editors, and they were very
aggressive, and absolutely certain they knew best. It's one of the few
occasions I've been genuinely angry when editing (as opposed to
irritated, which is a constant), because I got no sense at all that
they realized that maybe, just maybe, the issues were more nuanced
than they were able to understand. I had to withdraw from editing it
after a couple of days.

Sarah