[WikiEN-l] Google Earth screenshots

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 18:41:44 UTC 2006

On 22/11/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> What should we do with the screenshots taken from Google Earth?
> I see that more and more of them are uploaded on en.wiki, for example
> to illustrate things such as high-schools or cities. But, does the
> fair-use claim hold up?
>
> Note that some of the images claim "PD".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Irvine_Sat_View.jpg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RanchoSatView.jpg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Migrationdinka.png
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hhi-troads.jpg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:St_cath_wifi.png

The fair-use claim almost certainly doesn't work. However, it may be
possible to replace them with equivalent free shots via NASA WorldWind
- I believe all their map data is public domain or otherwise free, and
so "photography" with it is fine.

Map snippets, like on "troads" can be reproduced with ten minutes in
an art program. This isn't rocket science.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk