[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 00:39:56 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, niht-hræfn <nihthraefn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the
> women I know spend one or two hours in the morning with a
> straightening iron and a blow dryer. Wikipedia has http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowdryer and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Hair_iron . These two articles are considerably out of date and do
> not begin to encompass the complexities of these appliances (and
> there is not even separate articles for straightening irons and
> curling irons!). Compare to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television , the two appliances I have
> known men to use most.

Keitel, your e-mail is itself a good example of bias. The women you
know who spend two hours every morning with a straightening iron and a
blowdryer need to find a good hairdresser. The cut is everything. :-)

Seriously, it's kind of disturbing to see that women should be editing
[[Blowdryer]] while the men get to grips with [[Arab-Israeli
conflict]].

Sarah