[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 00:37:17 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, niht-hræfn <nihthraefn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 19:08, Fred Bauder wrote:
>

> > On Nov 21, 2006, at 4:28 PM, niht-hræfn wrote:
> >
> >> The recent thread on the low numbers of women applying for ArbCom and
> >> subsequent discussion about systemic bias and under-representation of
> >> women has led me to wonder about the nature of gender-related
> >> systemic bias on the English Wikipedia.
> >
> > I suspect the cause is simply that women have something else to do
> > with their time that they enjoy more. However, I also suspect enough
> > women will edit, that "women's subjects" will eventually be
> > adequately handled.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> Indeed, I'm not terribly worried about article coverage, but merely
> wondering if the difference is affecting other areas, such as policy.
>
> --Keitei

Do you have specific examples which come to mind, or is this a generic
concern?

I have seen such things happen in the past in smaller groups, but larger
sets of people tend to have less such problems.  WP policy has seemed pretty
neutral to me, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm not seeing something
that's there.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com