[WikiEN-l] (semi-OT) What to do with old but not old enough encyclopedias?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Thu Nov 16 13:16:20 UTC 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 3:36 AM, David Gerard wrote:

> A friend of mine has a 1980 set of Encyclopedia Britannica he's trying
> to get rid of. They're not going to be public domain in many of our
> lifetimes and the information will be out of date enough to be
> misleading in many ways - they would not be appropriate for a school.
>
> I see there's another 1980 EB on eBay right now that's had no bids.
> Nobody Cares (tm).
>
> Your suggestions are welcomed ...

They can be given away locally, shipping cost would exceed their
value. We have a free box where I live. Or to the land fill. I have a
set like that which I keep around, but in two years have only
consulted it a few times. I suppose a  Wikipedian could use it  to
fill in some gaps and for fact checking. Postage is about equal to
the value of the set, so you should offer it free.

Fred