[WikiEN-l] Making it easier for the public to help out

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 01:55:41 UTC 2006

> On 11/19/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/20/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How about a tab? I'm not sure how we'd reduce "Is there a problem?" to
> > > one word though.
> >
> > Tabs are IMHO kind of invisible. People I've spoken to have never
> > noticed them before. Everyone's used Wikipedia. Not many realise there
> > is a "History" tab, for instance. I'm thinking a big green friendly
> > bubble.
>
> Would dissrupt reading experence. A red outlined tab perhaps?

We could always add something to the sidebar. If you go to Commons you
can see the general idea, there they have a bar called "navigate" and
a bar called "participate". The sidebar is customisable in-wiki by
editing [[MediaWiki:Sidebar]].

Of course, it would be nice to be able to style it so that it stands
out - a slight modification to the way the skin renders the HTML could
add an "id" parameter to each div in the sidebar, which could then be
styled via [[MediaWiki:Monobook.css]].

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com