[WikiEN-l] Making it easier for the public to help out

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 14:37:35 UTC 2006

On 19/11/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Put a big "Does this article need fixing?" link in a prominent
> place on each article (perhaps only for logged-out users or newbies?)
> 2) Upon clicking it, present a list of common problems: Plagiarism,
> factual error, duplicate article, incorrect name for article, missing
> information...
> 3) Explain that the user can edit it themselves *if they're
> interested*, or make it *very* easy for them to report the problem so
> more experienced Wikipedians can fix it.  "So fix it" is a fine
> response from one oldbie to another - but not to a newbie.

I've toyed in the past with the idea of a big red "there is a problem"
button, which would spawn a window where they could leave a comment
(if desired) and cause the page to be be flagged somewhere or other
for attention - possibly via an OTRS-like system.

This is a similar idea, and I think it's worth trying out.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk