[WikiEN-l] Rethinking Fictional Topics

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:07:33 UTC 2006

On 16/11/06, Phil Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this misunderstands the nature of the dispute. It is not, I
> think, people who want to contribute in-universe stuff and people who
> don't. It's a dispute between people who think that in-universe stuff
> is important to have and people who don't. I suspect that if we give a
> clear indication of where in-universe material should go, people who
> are knowledgeable about fictional universes will start to offer their
> in-universe material to fan-run projects, and their out-of-universe
> material to Wikipedia.

This trick has been tried before, e.g. trying to get amazingly trivial
Star Trek cruft moved to Memory Alpha. Pretty much none of the actual
contributors of such material were happy with the idea and it died.
Possibly because it was approached through deletion discussions, which
are a proven way to get people to the discussion already upset ...

- d.