[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Thu Nov 16 19:45:49 UTC 2006

Fastfission wrote:

> In the end, in any case, if this were, in reality, what FUC#1 was
> trying to do, then that should be discussed and ARTICULATED. As it is,
> this interpretation of FUC#1 is simply added on as a throwaway line,
> was not discussed in any detail, and is now being used to delete all
> sorts of things as if it were gospel. That's a bad policy model, in my
> opinion, but not too many people around here seem to care about what
> it might mean to have a good policy model, in my opinion.

I've tried to get some movement on this at the fair use talk page.  It
appears a large amount of people are seeing FUC#1 as a means to an end -
we want more free material, and the only way to get it is to delete the
fair use stuff whenever possible.  Realism doesn't come into play (I know
I can't get a free picture of the indie rock chick who's dove out of the
public eye to become a mother, but she's alive and I ''could'' get a
picture), but rather directing the desires of those who do the image
stuff.

I dunno, it seems awfully counterproductive.

-Jeff
--
If you can read this, I'm not at home.