[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 16 15:14:31 UTC 2006

Sarah wrote:
> So what kinds of publishers are the potential beneficiaries of our
> image policies?

The "future us", I'd say. All kinds of things could happen - Wikimedia
Foundation becomes a giant publishing conglomerate, record companies get
fair use outlawed, etc. Even images that got permission "for Wikipedia"
several years ago are now in a sticky position for use by Wikibooks,
Wikinews, and other projects that have come into existence since then.
Only with the free images can we be confident of being able to use them
in whatever new undertaking that we dream up.

Stan