[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 20:59:39 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there somewhere in the wiki where discussions about Fair Use
> images' appropriateness can go?  I'm having a dispute with someone
> over fair use of a manufacturers' web PR photo  of a relatively rare
> aircraft, and I don't know how to get more wikipedia-copyright-expert
> people's review of the question.

Better than discussion is closure: Since it's a "web PR photo" I
assume the manufacturer is still in business.  Contact them and ask
them to release the image under a free license.   Success rate for
this isn't fantastic, but a quick email (we have boilerplates) costs
you nothing, and if they agree (make sure their reply copies the
permissions queue) the argument is closed.