[WikiEN-l] Overuse of {{fact}}, redux

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 15 01:58:52 UTC 2006

Angela wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
>>> Yeah, I hate that. Why not just use {{unsourced}}, it is just a good a
>>> warning (better, even), and not at all as annoying.
>> How about we give a class to template:fact so that people could add
>>
>> #cite-request  {
>>    display: none;
>> }
>>
>> to their skin's CSS and make them vanish, if they're sufficiently
>> annoyed by them? That way everyone's preferences can coexist.
>
> I'm more concerned about how it looks to readers, not to people who
> know how to edit their skin settings.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to hide them by default,
though, since then almost nobody would ever see them.

{{unsourced}} is well and good when an article has _no_ references, but
when an article is a blend of sourced and unsourced statements I think
it's better to have something that we can use to label individual
statements as needing citations. If they make the article look ugly, one
could consider that as a visual representation of the state of the
article's verification. We can de-uglify by adding appropriate references.