[WikiEN-l] Overuse of {{fact}}, redux

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Mon Nov 13 12:15:08 UTC 2006

> From: "Alphax (Wikipedia email)" <alphasigmax at gmail.com>
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_faux_pas
>
> Highlighting specific examples is left as an exercise to the reader.

The only problem I see here is the longstanding problem that the
"citation needed" tag is overly conspicuous and intrusive. I'd like
to see this fixed somehow.

It's my belief that lists are especially prone to attract "drive-by"
additions of shoot-from-the-hip, hearsay material. The temptation to
say "Oooh! Oooh! I know one that they missed" is just so great.

Why, exactly, do you feel that there is no need to cite a published
source for a statement such as that "[in Switzerland] when clinking
glasses, it is an obligation to look into the eyes of the person
holding the other glass?"