[WikiEN-l] Fiction and Wikia

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 13 08:04:43 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me that many fictional worlds have superb wikis devoted
> to them over in Wikia. These Wikis are often doing exactly what we're
> trying to avoid doing in Wikipedia - providing large amounts of in-
> universe information.

True. Wikimedia is also strongly committed to free content, and so is
Wikia. But so are other wikis which are not hosted on Wikia, such as
Wikitravel. It would be unfair to prefer Wikia specifically. However,
it would make sense, in my opinion, to build a network of free content
websites. Fortunately there's already a definition we can use to
identify those:

http://freecontentdefinition.org/Definition

Essentially, we could make a policy that any relevant external
resource that meets the Free Content Definition may be linked in a
more visible place than non-free resource. Going a bit beyond free
licensing, we could also require that the site at least make complete
dumps available on a regular basis, to enable community migration.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.