[WikiEN-l] WP:COI violation

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 17:47:59 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> > That may be consistent with your view of the "ordinary person", but
> > others may see it differently.  Avoidance is a restriction that one
> > applies on one's own self.  It does not depend on the imposition of
> > external authority.  It favours the exercise of judgement and the
> > ability to know one's own limits.
>
> My point is that anyone who reads that will interpret the *intentions of the
> writer* to be that the act is not allowed.  It doesn't matter what he thinks
> avoidance is, but what he thinks the policy-maker meant by it.

Really, whenever we say "avoid doing X", what we're trying to say
something like "don't do X without a damn good reason, and by that we
mean something which we would consider a damn good reason, not
something which happens to be important to you."

It's just kind of hard to put it snappily. Suggestions appreciated.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk