[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Nov 11 16:48:13 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> First of all, let me note that the current version is not the version
>> that had the copyvio problems.
>>
> What I saw (and Anthony too based on his comments) was indeed the
> current version.  It has essentially been there since Sept. 27.

No, Anthony misled you.  The current version at the time I used this as
an example was first theorized by me to be a copyvio.  Then it was
proven by Geni to be so, and those revisions were deleted.

> If
> anyone but Jimbo had written this way it would have been treated as
> trolling.

Ray, I hope you will apologize to me for this remark.  I was not
trolling, you misread the history, ok?  The revisions which I speculated
to be copyvios were copyvios, and subsequently deleted it.

>  He even said, "(I would delete it now, but I want people to
> take a quick look at it first)", but the picture was already gone.  It
> was reloaded but not linked from the new article.  The leader of
> Wikipedia should know by now what kind of firestorm his comments can
> raise when they are completely factual.  So when he irresponsibly uses
> data that was deleted more than a month ago as though it were still
> current the results are bound to be chaotic.

I think you should also apologize to me for this.  I said nothing
"irresponsibly".

> Your comments about the former version make a lot of sense, but the fact
> remains that it was already deleted on or before Sept. 27.

No, that is not true.  Please review the history again, and remember
that AGF applies even to me. :)  I don't make up crazy irresponsible
examples.  The bits I complained about were live on the site when I
complained about them.

Please acknowledge this.

--Jimbo