[WikiEN-l] mental_floss Fixipedia Day

Violet/Riga violetriga at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 20:39:26 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Some of you may be aware of the excellent US trivia magazine and blog
"mental_floss" (www.mentalfloss.com).  I was recently contacted by them
regarding the idea of a "Fixipedia Day".  The idea is for their readers to
edit a Wikipedia article and correct a mistake/omission/whatever and
document it.  I see this as similar to External Peer Reviews conducted by
magazines such as Nature but with the emphasis on actually contributing
rather than critiquing.

I have volunteered to help out with an on-wiki project page for this and
have offered my advice on the situation.  I believe that this could be an
interesting idea that could attract some excellent contributors to the
project as well as publicise the goals of Wikipedia.  They are currently
discussing the idea and thinking of how best to implement, announce, and
publicise the day.

So what are peoples opinions of this?  Any suggestions?  Is it a good idea
even?

Regards,

~~~~ Violet/Riga