[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Thu Nov 9 19:00:55 UTC 2006

> The vast majority of these topics I think would be better suited for a
> merge. As for Ms. Mateo, for example, I don't see why it wouldn't be
> more appropriate to say whatever there is to say about her in the
> Phillipine Idol article.

Because, for instance, if I'm searching for Mateo, I'm not looking for
information on Phillippine Idol.  I'm looking for information on her.

> Merging *improves* these articles for that reason, but people seem to
> be offended by the suggestion that their pet topic doesn't deserve an
> independent article.

Is it worth improving one article by ruining 8?

> I believe in splitting off articles only when you
> have to, when it wouldn't make sense not to, rather than independent
> articles as the default. Encouraging new writers to add to existing
> articles rather than start new ones may help.

Well, we both have very different feelings on this.  I think more
topics should be split off, not less.  We have the ability to be
specific, we should be using it, instead of creating a redirect on an
article that is 95% irrelevant to the actual subject it's being
redirected from.  The Emmalina -> YouTube situation that's been
crerated is an excellent example of this.

-Jeff

--

If you can see this, I'm not at home.