[WikiEN-l] An observation

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:41:47 UTC 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 1:32 PM, geni wrote:

> On 11/9/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Since we started using personal pronouns, whenever that was. I wasn't
>> around then, but I suspect it was fairly early on.
>>
>> --Michael Snow
>

> Agressive use of singular they generaly solves that proble,

And, before anyone complains, it's tacitly endorsed by the Chicago
Manual of Style!

It notes that "it is unacceptable to a great many reasonable readers
to use the generic masculine pronoun," whereas objectors to the
singular they are merely referred to as "a great many readers,"
clearly implying that such objections are unreasonable.

-Phil