[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 9 15:02:45 UTC 2006

Daniel P.B.Smith wrote

>On the one hand, I believe it is
> _quite possible_ to write good, well-sourced, encyclopedic articles
> on popular culture.

True.

>On the other hand, I believe that such articles
> should be held to exactly the same standards as any other Wikipedia
> article, including deletion of material that cannot be sourced after
> sources have been requested and the requests have been outstanding
> for a reasonable length of time.

Low priority, for me, except in cases of defamation. But it also depends on other things. [[Bob Dylan]] should have everything nailed down with sources. The latest boy band - not so clear.

Deletion of material as unsourced is not anyway my kind of thing. 'Old school' Wikipedians probably want to make a serious effort to source dangling facts, before cutting them out. Or at least replace them with something that checks out.

Charles