[WikiEN-l] WP:COI violation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 8 20:30:21 UTC 2006

Gregory Kohs wrote:

>The Vice President of Wikia has been editing the Wikipedia article about
>Wikia again.  This time, November 8th:
>
>[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikia&diff=86444818&oldid=86163187]

So what!!!

>Now, as a reminder, WP:COI says:
>
>* * * * *
>If you have a conflict of interest, you should:
>
>   1. *avoid editing* articles related to your organization or its
>   competitors;
>   2. *avoid participating* in deletion
>discussions<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_policy#Deletion_processes>about
>articles related to your organization or its competitors;
>   3. *avoid linking* to the Wikipedia article or website of your
>   corporation in other articles (see
>Wikipedia:Spam<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spam>).
>
>If you feel it necessary to make changes to Wikipedia articles, despite a
>real or perceived conflict of interest, we *strongly encourage* you to
>submit content for community review on the article's talk page, and to let
>one or more trusted community members judge whether the material belongs in
>Wikipedia.
>* * * * *

So a few people recently decided that they wanted a COI policy.  Let's
not pretend that there was suddenly a groundswell in support of this policy.

>I didn't see that Beesley submitted her content for community review on the
>article's talk page.

Why should she?  If you think that what she has said is wrong
{{sofixit}} instead of whining about it.

>I know that her edit was a trifling one, but considering all of the heat and
>light that's been generated in recent months about conflicts of interest,
>why is it that Beesley's account doesn't receive so much as a warning,
>especially when just 4 days ago, she was giving excuses as to why it was
>okay for her to edit Wikia PRIOR to WP:COI coming out.

Her edit may be a trifling one, but surely you trifle by complaining
about it.

>Well, now WP:COI is
>out, but she's still editing.  Would it be so difficult for the Wikipedia
>community to expect that Beesley recuse herself of editing just ONE article
>-- the one about her own company?

Why should she have to?  Her connection with Wikia is completely on the
table,  What is so notably biased about the way she is writing.

>Seriously, I know I'm trolling, but come on -- can anyone else see the
>hypocrisy here?

To what do we owe the honour of your cofession to hypocrisy?

Ec