[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 5 21:10:34 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote

>I do not
> support your apparent view that Wikipedia's exponential growth is
> somehow justification for an exponential growth in the corpus of its
> policies and guidelines.

That is not my view. I have scarcely had anything to do with policy/guideline pages, since arriving in 2003. You might note that [[Wikipedia:Spam]], which logically is only a subsection in the 'conflict of interest' area, is by itself a page of perhaps comparable length. The logic is to get the right high-level pages set up, so that the basic principles are put forward in a few places, and detailed material hangs off those. (I have actually also argued for a handbook approach, since it seems to me utopian to think Wikipedia in its current state is not easily comprehensible. I could have wished for more support on that front.)

Charles