[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Nov 5 19:22:27 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:

>We might be flattering ourselves right now, to think that it matters so much to corporations. Come 2010, we absolutely do not want to be told that we have flacks like termites in the foundations.

Who's arguing that it matters so much to corporations.  It will matter
to a small subset of corporations, but most have better (from their
perspective) things to do with their time.  We have very few articles
that can survive four years without an edit.

>WP has experienced exponential growth (I'm a mathematician, I don't the term lightly). This is a rare thing, in the real world. Because things do _not_ scale; the scaling issues cannot be ignored with impunity. The hubbub caused by Danny a little while is a symptom. The relationship WP-corporate world is precisely the sort of thing that can exhibit a tipping point.

I am familiar with Wikipedia's exponential growth.  In the Summer of
2002 I remember estimating when Wikipedia would reach 100,000 articles
based on exponential growth, and being reasonably accurate.  I do not
support your apparent view that Wikipedia's exponential growth is
somehow justification for an exponential growth in the corpus of its
policies and guidelines.

Ec