[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 01:33:28 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 11/3/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What policies/procedures/guidelines on en:wp strike you as just awful?
>> Please list and elaborate.
>>
>> This could be in any of purpose, current wording, ineffectuality or
>> just being a completely bad idea. Or anything else that makes it just
>> awful.
>

> Parts of Wikipedia:Username
>
> "Names that can be confused with other contributors" tends to be
> overused. It is common practice on the net for people when a user name
> is taken to use the user name followed by some number. We need to
> accept this.

Except that "on the rest of the interwebs" people with usernames of the
form (word)(number) where (word) is common don't tend to run into each
other; on Wikipedia they *do*.

> Wikipedia:Ownership of articles
>
> Should be Wikipedia:Ownership of content. I tend to feel we have a
> problem if people are asking permission to edit images.

Actually it's "best practice" to not upload a modified version of an
image over the original unless the modifications are lossless and trivial.