[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 3 23:23:20 UTC 2006

"Gregory Kohs" wrote

> (Prediction:  This is where we'll begin to see these layers of excuses and
> hypocrisy being donned once again.  Wikia is a different case.  The Reward
> Board is an exception.)

The guideline at WP:COI is clear enough: those whose editing of an area is or is likely to be at cross-purposes with Wikipedia's interest in the matter are discouraged from editing in that area. It is surprising to think that any other sort of policy could be contemplated. But instead of trying to stretch the principles involved to the point of absurdity (which is the lowest, crudest form of debate that we get here), perhaps you should look at the detailed form of the guideline. Which includes:

- statement that conflict of interest is handled within the other policies, not in some special way;
- advice that good practice is not to bring up authorship of articles at AfD, advice that conflict of interest should not be used adversarially as an accusation in disputes over POV editing;
- neutral discussion of the question of declaring an interest, concentrating on its pros and cons.

Charles