[WikiEN-l] Classical tape recordings from the 1950s and 1960s

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 3 09:04:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:16:34 -0700, "The Uninvited Co., Inc"
<uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:

>During the 1950s and 1960s, tape was the premium media for audio.  It
>was available in stereo format several years prior to the commercial
>availability of stereo phonograph records, and did not suffer from pops
>and scratches even when played and handled multiple times.  Prerecorded
>tapes were marketed to audiophiles and other serious listeners as a
>better-quality alternative to records.  Casual listeners of today would
>notice no difference in quality between the best tape recordings of the
>early 1960s and the CDs of today.

I have no idea about the copyright, but this reminded me of the "song
of reproduction" by Flanders and Swann - "I've an opera here that you
shan't escape / on miles and miles of recording tape..."

I will have to dust off tht Tandberg :-)

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG